Friday, March 19, 2010

Where Have I Been?

One word: DEHYDRATING.
That's right.  Exactly 3 weeks ago I purchased Gavin and myself an early birthday present:  The Excalibur 3900.  Fifteen square feet of premium drying potential.  Can we say obsessed?  Since then I have dried 26 apples, 7 pears, 14 bananas, 1 huge papaya, 7 mangos, strawberries, green grapes, red grapes, lemons, nectarines, peaches, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and bell peppers.  I've made a variety of fruit leathers, all kinds of candied nuts, seeds, nuts butters, and nut milks.  A few batches of granola, some raw.  I was making creamy delicious yogurt, which turned out to be a mistake as I am officially self-diagnosed lactase deficient. Local, raw milk or not, I don't digest it!  Lame.  Consoled myself with a variety of raw crackers, flaxseed crackers, raw apple-raisin cookies, raw sprouted wheat cinnamon bread, raw pecan sandies, and carob-coconut balls. While I was at it I made some sprouted wheat bread and a couple seriously delicious pies: peanut-butter-chocolate (Gavin's favorite dessert ever, it has tofu in it) and raw apple pie.  My cupboards are crammed, as is my freezer, and I can't seem to purchase enough jars.  Got myself a bit up a creek, as I am up against some serious deadlines and we leave for Disneyland in a couple days.  Disneyland = Trail mix.  At least we've got that.

No comments: